Firstly I hope you and your loved ones are keeping well, staying safe and maintaining a positive attitude during these very challenging times. Here in England, we are in lockdown so many people continue to spend much more time at home. With this in mind here are 10 top tips from me for ways that I rejuvenate existing traditional interiors.
- I like to display monochromatic, photographic art on top of ornate, carved mantlepieces; a contemporary and refreshing alternative to heavy, classical oil paintings.
- Strip back varnish from existing parquet flooring to create a chic, satin texture. this oak Versailles parquet flooring has a delicate warmth to it, which is very beautiful.
- Hang a collection of small, contemporary artworks beneath ornate mouldings and ceiling plasterwork. the playful change in scale is unexpected and feels wonderfully modern.
- I like to insert contemporary, hand-painted wallpaper, like this exquisite cherry blossom by De Gournay, into plaster wall panelling for a fresh perspective on a traditional dining room interior.
- An abstract or modular chandelier, such as this trio of rock crystal encrusted rings from Christopher boots, is wonderfully unexpected against an ornate ceiling. if in doubt, embrace the motto, ‘the bigger the better’, as it must hold its own against the majestic ceiling detailing.
- Give classical bathroom fittings, such as those by Barbara Barry for Kallista, a contemporary twist by combining their traditional details with statement, book matched, milas lilac marble.
- Keep a traditional, curved staircase fresh and light by minimising detail to the walls and selecting a neutral marble, such as this subtly-veined calacatta oro.
- A simple yet effective change: swap a heavy, gilt-framed mirror for an antique, Venetian glass design instead. exquisitely crafted, it creates a light and fresh feel.
- I often choose sleek, contemporary furniture for a grand drawing-room. such large spaces have a fabulous ‘gallery’ feel and are perfect for showcasing sculptural furniture.
- My final tip is to add fresh, white flowers, eye-catching accessories in statement finishes and glossy, contemporary books to coffee tables to draw the eye and add a personal touch.
To see images of all 10 tips above please visit and possibly sign up to our newsletter here